FTP and Understanding File Permissions

Introduction

Are you wondering what FTP is and how you can use it to upload/files from your site quickly and easily? Would you like to know how to set permissions on files and folders? If so, then this tutorial is for you.

This tutorial started out as a simple primer for newbies that need to learn a few specifics about FTP technology and how to use it, but I’ve also inserted some interesting stuff about FTP permissions syntax that some of you seasoned guys probably don’t know or just never got around to looking at. Things that make you go ‘hmmm’ and ‘wow, I get it

This entry was posted in Featured, Web Technologies. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to “FTP and Understanding File Permissions”

1. Anne says:

THANK YOU! I have been struggling for a week with how to set file permissions using Filezilla, and until coming across your article, I had no idea that it was actually the "file attributes." I also have a much better understanding of the logic behind permissions, and what everything means.

2. Fred says:

Thank you very much for the very helpfull information. I didn't know that you could set file permissions with FileZilla.

3. Quark says:

Excellent explanation. From A to Z.

4. Luke says:

Thanks heaps!! Was limited to the work i could do because every time i modified my CGI in Windows and uploaded to unix server i would loose execute permissions, hence it would not serve to the internet, and i would loose the ability to debug. Now i can do it easy. Thanks…

5. Val says:

Can you tell me why when I chmod 666 a file or directory, it disappears from view. When I try to overwrite (delete, rename, or recreate) it, it gives me an error 550: No such file or directory. Thanks!

6. Robert Rand says:

One thing you left out is that to be able to change attributes you must connect in Active and not Passive mode. If you connect in passive mode the file attributes in the right click pull down is greyed out…regards.

7. Tobey says:

Excelent explanation. Thx.

8. Steve Thomas says:

Great stuff!!!!!

9. Luis Danilo Ruiz says:

Thnx, I was googling a full week, 'til I found this single phrase in your article. "Please note: This permissions tutorial applies to UNIX/Linux based servers only and although Windows does have a permission system, it's different and cannot be set by anyone using an FTP client."
    I've learned this: Doesn't matter if you use FileZilla FTP Server in a Windows Server, You can't change any file permissions.

10. Ramkumar says:

Fine Article

11. John Galantini says:

Very helpful. My limited understanding of the File Permissions has been greatly expanded. Thank you for the advice.

12. abe says:

great help guys !

13. Thank you *ever* so much! I used to know this stuff in my UNIX-weenie days. Fifteen years later I volunteered to be the Webmaster for my group and found I’d forgotten most or all of it. You have saved me several moments of cognitive dissonance and potential acute embarrassment!