PDA

View Full Version : Moving installed shopping cart up one level on sever

glutenFreeGoodies
10-20-2009, 03:22 AM
I installed my shopping cart at public_html/store. So, now if I type in my domain name it won't find my cart. I have also customized and loaded all my data to the cart. Is there a way I can move the cart up one level so it is just sitting at public_html? Thank you for any help you can give.

joepc
10-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Yes but it will require you to export your mysql database do a find and replace for public_html/store/ to public_html/

Coping all the files in public_html/store to public_html/

Then importing the database back in - Do you have root access to your hosting or are you using shared hosting?

tonybarnes
10-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Why does the database need to move? It's accessed via FTP - so long as the settings stay the same, it will point at the same database.

I had our cart running a database on a different server when we were migrating (i.e. cart on old server looking at database on new server to prevent data loss during propogation), worked fine.

With regards to the problem, can't you just change the store path in the settings and it will automatically do the right thing? i.e. just remove the /store. You may need to put in a redirect for your index so that everything lands there happily.

If your customisations have all been done without specifying a full URL for any changes you've done, then as above, just copy across, and change setting. Will probably be better in long run.

militaryweb
10-24-2009, 01:57 PM
One more further on this question. How do you move component up to main level. IE for SEO purposes, I want to move up or have the system store my webpages as mainsite.com/page1.html instead of mainsite.com/pages/page1.html How can you make the system change where webpages are sved when you edit in admin panel?

tonybarnes
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
You could probably just do an rewrite rule for that in your HTaccess file - swapp mainsite.com/pages/ for mainsite.com/

Otherwise it will be buried in the php somewhere.

I'm not sure it's of detriment to SEO in the first place though?

glutenFreeGoodies
10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Just wanted to pass on an update. I had also sent in a support ticket for this question. The response was the Interspire support staff could do this for me and so I let them do it. I don't know how they did it so I don't have any detail to add.

The support tickets are answered so slowly usually that I was going to use your ideas if needed. Thanks so much.

websnail
10-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Why does the database need to move? It's accessed via FTP - so long as the settings stay the same, it will point at the same database.
Think you got a bit confused there Tony. He was saying you'd need to export the data, edit it using a text editor and re-import, not move.

That said it's not something I'd recommend. You'd really just edit the htaccess to redirect or do an SQL update query on the relavant tables. Option #1 is a heck of a lot simpler.

myshop
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Moving from blah.com/store to just blah.com is really easy!

1. Change the URL in the store settings.
2. Move the contents of /store to / on webserver using FTP client.
3. All done except for one thing.. Anywhere *you* hard coded links to /store will need to be changed.

This only happens in:

a) Web content pages - If you have created hyperlinks or inserted images these will have /store in the HTML.
b) Product Descriptions - same as above
c) Category Descriptions - same as above
d) Banners - same as above

There is NO need to touch or worry about the sql database.

swingsetmall
10-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Does anyone here know what effect this type of folder move has with rankings in Google? We're getting ready to move our store two folders back and don't want to disturb any of our rankings by having all the links be broken.

Do we need to set up 301 redirects for every single link in our store? (If so, is there a way to streamline this, since we have thousands of links?) Or, does simply submitting an updated Sitemap to Google resolve this issue?

tonybarnes
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Think you got a bit confused there Tony. He was saying you'd need to export the data, edit it using a text editor and re-import, not move.

That said it's not something I'd recommend. You'd really just edit the htaccess to redirect or do an SQL update query on the relavant tables. Option #1 is a heck of a lot simpler.

Ah, yes..! :o

jrozsa
11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
swingset - Yes, 301 redirects are the way you would preserve value from the previous URLs to the current URLs. There are different ways to do this, but you likely don't need to redirect thousands of URLs. The main reason to do 301 redirects are to transfer the "link juice" from one URL to a new one. I doubt you have inbound links pointing to thousands of sites. For most of these, a new sitemap will be sufficient. You will want a general 301 redirect (probably pointing to the home page or better yet, a category page), but a 1 to 1 mapping is not necessary. You will want to go through and identify sites that have a lot of inbound links and specifically set up 301 redirects for them so that you can keep the benefit of the inbound links. That's really all you need to worry about. Let me know if you have any questions on this. As you may have guessed, I'm an SEO guy (I own an SEO firm, etc.).

swingsetmall
11-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info :)

We did finally figure out how to redirect the old directory to the new one by editing the .htaccess file. It was very simple, in fact. So now our links on Google go to the right page rather than a 404 or the home page. Hopefully, since we submitted the new sitemap on Google Webmasters, the links should be updated soon.

babyREFLUX
11-07-2009, 09:37 AM
but you likely don't need to redirect thousands of URLs. The main reason to do 301 redirects are to transfer the "link juice" from one URL to a new one. I doubt you have inbound links pointing to thousands of sites. For most of these, a new sitemap will be sufficient. You will want a general 301 redirect (probably pointing to the home page or better yet, a category page), but a 1 to 1 mapping is not necessary. Can't agree with you Joe.

If a store owner has a key product that is linked to, from a few hundred forums then they will want a 301 redirect directly to the new product URL.

A general link to a category page or home page is a sure-fire way to lose business or confuse the visitor as they will be at a page they didn't expect.

Of course when you are talking of thousands of pages changes then you have a dilemma - the easy way is to mass redirect the lot - or you can be selective and deal with products, categories, brands at an individual level.

Depends on the market you are in and the type of inbound links you have but it is not as straightforward as doing a mass redirect.

jrozsa
11-07-2009, 01:04 PM
That is exactly right Jonathan. I must not have explained that correctly. I was trying to say not to worry about doing the one to one mapping from old product page to new product page for all 1,000 or more product pages. But you should absolutely do the one to one mapping for any key products that have inbound links pointing to them (even if it is only one inbound link coming from a highly respected source such as Yahoo or CNN or something).

I was saying it is highly unlikely that most people have a significant number of inbound links pointing to all 1,000 or so individual product pages, but yes definitely do the individual 301 redirecting for the key products that DO have the inbound links and then mass redirect the rest. It takes some serious analysis to come up with the best strategy and determination of best use of 301 redirects. ONe should balance this while keeping in mind that a large .htaccess file put a pretty big resource overhead on the server as well.

I think we do agree completely - I just didn't do a good job of clearly explaining what I was trying to say in the previous post.

red1x
09-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Moving from blah.com/store to just blah.com is really easy!

2. Move the contents of /store to / on webserver using FTP client.
3. All done except for one thing.. Anywhere *you* hard coded links to /store will need to be changed.

This only happens in:

a) Web content pages - If you have created hyperlinks or inserted images these will have /store in the HTML.
b) Product Descriptions - same as above
c) Category Descriptions - same as above
d) Banners - same as above

There is NO need to touch or worry about the sql database.

hi

does this upddate the config file?

myshop
09-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Yes... this is all it changes :-)

red1x
09-01-2010, 06:43 AM
thanks

I had to update alot of hard links and originally I had them as:

http://www.mydomain.com.au/pages/test/about.htm

but after moving them to the root directory I had to make them like this:

http://www.mydomain.com.au/pages.php?pageid=17

as when I made them:
http://www.mydomain.com.au/pages/about.htm

they didn't work

does anyone know why this would change

myshop
09-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Sounds like your rewrite stuff isnt working - Make sure you copied the .htaccess into the root folder (where all the other website files are)
And make sure you have SEO friendly names enabled in settings -> Store Settings

funwarehouse
02-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi

Just moved our website from test to live at http://www.funwarehouse.co.uk/

But we are getting lots of Snippet not found: errors in various places

Example [Snippet not found: 'SitemapLink']

Can anyone help to explain what we have done wrong when moving teh files by ftp to break it ?

Cheers

Simon

myshop
02-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I would be checking two things.

1. The path set in Settings -> Store Settings.
2. That the snippets are in fact in the right place.