PDA

View Full Version : changing domain name

glutenFreeGoodies
10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I installed my site with the domain name www.glutenfreecookiedough.com. I am changing my domain. Has anyone done this before? I kind of doubt I just need to change the domain name on the Store Settings panel. Does anyone know the steps to take to complete this?

Thanks,

myshop
10-29-2009, 12:35 AM
You need to change the domain name in the settings before changing the domain and you also need to ask Interspire to change the domain that the license is attached to (log a ticket)

You will also need your SSL cert for the new domain.

That should be it.

glutenFreeGoodies
10-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Thanks so much for your quick response! That sounds simple enough. Have you done this before? I've seen in the forums where there are several steps and even the support techs have given me multiple answers when I've alluded to this. Just want to check.

I think I'll go ahead and request the new license key to get the ball rolling.

glutenFreeGoodies
10-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Oops, I meant to say I'll submit a support ticket to change the domain name the license is attached to. I also know about the cert. I have one in process. Thanks for your tips.

myshop
10-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Shouldn't be much more to it really..

Only other thing I can think of are things like:

email addresses, mail server settings etc and maybe hardcoded paths in customized templates if you have done some dodgy coding!

babyREFLUX
10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Yes, watch out for absolute links that quote your old domain and don't forget your 301 redirects!

marbles
11-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Hello all.
Can I just squeeze a little more info here pleae?
Is it correct that a licence is good only for ONE domain change?

babyREFLUX
11-19-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't think there is a restriction on domain changes as long as there are valid reasons for changing. The key parameter is that the license will only work on a single domain at a time.

If you require a development license to 'practice on' then request one by sending in a ticket.

R-n-R
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I have changed several of my customers licenses to different domains over the last few years, and never had a issue with getting a license changed for any of our customers for any of the Interspire products. Like Jonathan says, as long as you have a valid reason, you will not have a problem.

But also know that do NOT change the domain license until your ready to use the new domain. As if you are still using the old domain and login to the Admin area (of any Interspire Product) you will not be able to manage anything in the Admin Area, the software will still work, just can't work in the Admin area.

marbles
02-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Excellent help there. Thank you.