PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Cart v BigCommerce templates

rjcuser
02-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Is the functionality of being able to edit the template files within the browser window only in Big Commerce and not in Shopping Cart? (To clarify, I mean the 7th tab within the design menu where can view, edit, compare, revert, etc.)

What is the easiest way to copy a panel / snippet, rename and use within your template?

Thanks

Cheers
Richard

jrozsa
02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
BigCommerce and the Shopping cart have the same functionality. One is hosted, one is not, that is the only difference.

rjcuser
02-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I definitely don't have the 7th tab (Template Files) in the Site Design menu in Shopping Cart that you do in BigCommerce... could this be because I am currently using the Starter version of Shopping Cart? Thanks...

jrozsa
02-13-2010, 05:44 PM
You should be able to see the files under Site Design tab, as well as while editing in Design Mode. Most importantly though, can I ask why you are using this version and not using a Dreamweaver or an editing tool such as that? That would be my first recommendation above anything else. No browser based tool is even close to being as powerful as DW.

rjcuser
02-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I can see 'Browse Template Files' but this in't the same, it doesn't have the same functionaility for seeing what has changed, etc. I am using an editing tool both directly on the server through remote desktop and via on my desktop via ftp, this is just for tweaking... Are there times when the two products are out of sync? thanks

jrozsa
02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes, they will get out of sync if you don't grab the latest version of the files before editing locally. For example, any changes in design mode will modify the templates, so you would need to get the files from the remote server before editing locally.

I apologize for misunderstanding the question initially. I believe that tab is a benefit for BC users since they typically would not be editing remotely. I know you can go in to the specific files through design mode and edit the code that way.

myshop
02-17-2010, 04:35 AM
I think Joe is missing the point - BC has a nice little 'WinMerge' like feature which allows users to compare original template vs modified template files. Its completly missing from ISC.

cbad
02-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Most importantly though, can I ask why you are using this version and not using a Dreamweaver or an editing tool such as that?

I'm interested in this idea. How can you edit a template in Dreamweaver?

It seems like Interspire compiles the template before putting it in the browser editor, which allows you to then drag and drop panels and all that. To edit the layout, panel, snippet and css files, I use another text editor since I'm not sure what good a WYSIWYG editor would do without compiling first.

What am I missing?

Thanks!