BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Knowledge Manager Community Forum > News and Product Updates

Old 12-11-2007, 02:59 AM

Default ActiveKB NX 2.7.1 Release

Hi All,

Just to let you know ActiveKB 2.7.1 has officially been released. Lots of bugs fixed, lots of features added.

The biggest is the one alot of people have been waiting for, the frontend user system. Now it is possible to lock down your KB to only certain groups on a category level or on a question level.

Any questions please let me know.

Any problems, please submit a ticket through the client area.

Cheers
Jarrad
Old 12-31-2007, 09:33 PM

Angry Crap

Well worst New Years ever, thanks Interspire.

I'm in a hurry for new KB software because the last package I used was not compatible with a new server upgrade that we're working on. In a rush and needing a new solution I stumble upon this site.

Thinking that instant download meant I could pay for it, download it, install it and use it I ponied up my $320 and tried to get to work. New fresh install, followed the installation guide to the letter. I add a category and article as it suggests in the walkthrough. Works fine in the admin.

No articles showing up in the front end. I double check, triple check, quadruple check to ensure I have everything marked as public, nothing is behind passwords etc. This is a fresh install on a server config that is supposedly compatible.

It doesn't work. The installation walkthrough gives no advice on what to do if the to-the-letter fresh install doesn't work. So I go to the support procedure. No mention in their own KB of this problem. Put a ticket in, 24 hours later no response.

Apparently Interspire has their own holiday hours and completely shuts down over the holiday without leaving anyone to provide support if something happens even if their customer's businesses are open because its not a federal holiday. Great.

Then I think maybe I can get some help in the user forums. So I register an account. Activate the account by email, and try and make a new topic. It asks me to log in again. So I do, and it asks me to log in yet again. So I do again and it asks me yet again. Apparently I can't create a new topic but I can reply to one, like this one.

Great so not only is the KB script broken, so is their support framework and their user forums.

Now I have had to hire a third party php programmer to go through the code for $300 an hour, because it's new years eve, to try and get this thing to work because we're supposed to have this thing launched by Jan 1. If this mess is because of a new version of the software then you should know better than to release it during a time when you won't have anyone on hand to support it.

I have no doubts that my post here will be deleted as soon as someone at the company gets back from vacation, but based on their support responses this may be up here for a few days.

The money back guarantee had better be good. This has been one of the most miserable unprofessional experiences I've ever had and I WANTED to use this software.

Last edited by andrewmta; 12-31-2007 at 09:37 PM..
Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Interspire Customer

Wow, that was a pretty harsh post.

I am a happy customer, not part of their support system.
I've been using Active KB (as well as other products from Interspire) for a few years, and happily pay to upgrade them too.
Their products as well as their support are fantastic. I doubt they will delete this post as they are a very reputable company and can take the good with the bad. Also, they will honor the money back guarantee.

I'd like to ask why you waited until 12/30 to purchase a solution that needed to be implemented 2 days later. Are you really hiring a programmer at $300 an hour to "go through the code"? I seriously doubt it. Either way, this was amazingly irresponsible of you to wait so long.

Regardless, why not post the issues you are having? Maybe some error messages? Feel free to PM me a temporary admin acct and I'll take a look if you wish.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 AM

Default Yes Crap

Irresponsible? Whatever.

Welcome to the real world where servers die, new ones have to be arranged for in a matter of hours and the western world goes to work between December 20 and January 5th whenever its not a federal holiday.

What would you do if your local telecom decided to close for a 14 day period for the holidays and left you without support? It's easy to call anyone who is facing a tight deadline, with little notice of an impending server crash, irresponsible but the difference between a company that IS professional and one that just writes that their professional is that they are open on days when their customers are open. They do this to provide support for services they've sold with support packages even if it makes a few employees grumble that they'll only get 4 days off this week instead of 5.

It's easy to say that a company provides great service and support if you don't actually have to rely on it. Claiming a company provides fantastic support, when it doesn't on days it should be open, is what I would consider irresponsible - not complaining about it.

I would go one further and say that releasing a major new build a week before you send your entire support staff off on vacation is irresponsible.

I clearly outlined what the problem was, that the front end of their default install is not displaying articles that their back end admin is. I've outlined it in a support ticket that hasn't received a response either. It's a clean install on a clean server using the latest build.

You can flame me as much as you'd like. Bottom line, I purchased a product with support. I needed that support (and the build may very well be broken completely), and on a regular work day for the rest of the world they didn't provide that support.

Last edited by andrewmta; 01-01-2008 at 01:29 AM..
Old 01-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Interspire Customer

Sorry to have offended.

Again, if you'd like to PM me a admin log in with a URL I'll be happy to take a look.
I have gone as far as embedding it in an iframe in my vBulletin site and it works flawlessly.

http://www.bloodbanktalk.com/forum/view.php?pg=help
Old 01-02-2008, 02:02 PM

My ticket is almost 72 hours old now - including two regular business days. I've received one response on my ticket asking for passwords, no follow up since. There's a big red message at the top of the support form:

"Please note that our offices are currently closed for the Christmas break and all staff are on holidays. We will re-open on the 3rd of January 2008."

This message wasn't on the shopping cart that stated "24/7" support. Just because a company sells its products online doesn't mean that it should make promises it can't deliver and shut down on days that aren't holidays. Not professional at all.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 AM

Hi Andrew,

First of all, I apologise for an inconvenience our office shutdown over christmas may have caused you.

Secondly, yes you are correct a major release isn't the best idea so close to christmas, but please bare in mind 2.7.2 was released on the 18th of December, this was a minor release, 2.7 (the major) was released around the start of December. This gave us a good amount of time to iron out any obscure server specific problems before the break (hence the release of 2.7.1 and 2.7.2)

As for your specific problem, it seems quite strange as we haven't had any other complaints like it, I'll need to look at your server setup, please see the response to your ticket.

Lastly we are not in the habit of deleting posts like this, we take and respond to criticism of our products/company very seriously. I can understand your frustration and I have made sure to pass this on to my bosses to make sure that it is well known.

Please see the response to your ticket for further info...
Old 01-06-2008, 03:22 AM

My ticket was resolved yesterday. Jarrad had to rebuild the script to fix a bug but it is now working as far as I can tell.

Thanks.