BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

 
Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Email Marketer Community Forum > Customization and Integration

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM
rbe2004 + rbe2004 is offline
Interspire Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Default Email Send Speed

We have done our first install of Send Studio. I like the program but it took 10 hours to send 50,000 emails. Our specs exceed those of the example given by Interspire. I am now in a back and forth with Interspire who tells me they can not assist with server optimization and my admin who says that the problem is somewhere in Interspire.

I do not know where the problem lies, but I need some assist.

I feel like interspire has dropped the ball. If the software can really deliver 1000 emails a minute, then they should be able to tell their user base HOW to achieve those results. What is the standard configuration that permits that type of robust delivery? What is the configuration of the MTA? At the very least they should provide a list of consultants who can assist with optimization.

Does anyone out there know of some one who can assist us with optimizing our system? Is anyone out there achieving 1000 a minute and if so how did you do it?

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Chris S Chris S is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,642
Default

Hi Richard,

I'll take a look at your ticket now. I'm also going to try and make the website clearer in this regard.

Our testing was done up until the mail server. That is - SendStudio can generate and get "X" emails to the server in a certain amount of time.

The rest of the time is spent waiting for the mail server to accept the email and say whether it accepts it or not.

Either way I'll look at your ticket and see what I can do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe2004
We have done our first install of Send Studio. I like the program but it took 10 hours to send 50,000 emails. Our specs exceed those of the example given by Interspire. I am now in a back and forth with Interspire who tells me they can not assist with server optimization and my admin who says that the problem is somewhere in Interspire.

I do not know where the problem lies, but I need some assist.

I feel like interspire has dropped the ball. If the software can really deliver 1000 emails a minute, then they should be able to tell their user base HOW to achieve those results. What is the standard configuration that permits that type of robust delivery? What is the configuration of the MTA? At the very least they should provide a list of consultants who can assist with optimization.

Does anyone out there know of some one who can assist us with optimizing our system? Is anyone out there achieving 1000 a minute and if so how did you do it?

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 PM
rbe2004 + rbe2004 is offline
Interspire Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Default

We hired an email guru from Florida State to do a mail server optimization for us and now we are getting 80,000 an hour on our send. It is possible.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Chris S Chris S is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,642
Default

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update. I know you probably paid a lot a $ for that work but any chance you could email me a list of what they did? I've been trying to put a list of stuff together but haven't been able to get very far.

The main thing I found is you need fast disks - mail servers are all about input/output of the drives so any improvements would probably be at that level rather than in your mail server. Of course I could be absolutely wrong about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe2004
We hired an email guru from Florida State to do a mail server optimization for us and now we are getting 80,000 an hour on our send. It is possible.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
rbe2004 + rbe2004 is offline
Interspire Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Default

Actually, we are not using a particularly high powered server at all. I am setting up two additional installations, I just purchased the Interspire licenses for two more sites. Here are the server specs:

P4 3.0 GHZ
1 GB RAM
1 GB Swap
Apache
PHP 5.1.6
MySQL 5.0.22
Postfix 2.3.3

There are two SATA harddisks, one for back-up. The optimization of the MTA is the key.

Best,

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Chris S Chris S is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,642
Default

Hi Richard,

I meant the speed of the disks is pretty important. A desktop computer would have a disk that runs at (say) 5400rpm. A server would be much better off with a 10k rpm disk because of all the constant disk activity it has to do. You of course pay a lot more for a high end hard drive but the benefit is your server will utilize it and you'll notice the difference.

I've been looking at postfix for a while but can't work out where I need to optimize.. sorry I wasn't able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe2004
Actually, we are not using a particularly high powered server at all. I am setting up two additional installations, I just purchased the Interspire licenses for two more sites. Here are the server specs:

P4 3.0 GHZ
1 GB RAM
1 GB Swap
Apache
PHP 5.1.6
MySQL 5.0.22
Postfix 2.3.3

There are two SATA harddisks, one for back-up. The optimization of the MTA is the key.

Best,

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 AM
AdamWB AdamWB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Hi RBE2004

We are having the same problem with our mail server, you don't have the contact details for this Guru in Florida do you?

Regards
adam@emserve.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2008, 02:17 PM
rbe2004 + rbe2004 is offline
Interspire Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Default

Adam:

You or others may email me at rearls [at] travelresearchonline.com and I will provide you with the contact information for the consultant that assisted us.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
rbe2004 + rbe2004 is offline
Interspire Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Default

Here is the email address and name of the consultant:
Jeffrey McDonald - jmcdon[@]scs.fsu.edu
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 PM
psm2005 psm2005 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Default

Hi All - we have an MTA connected to SendStudio sending roughly 100-150K per hr. There are many reasons why you don't want it to send too fast (IPS throttling, etc.), but we are currently offering a way for any SendStudio customer to connect directly to our MTA and deliver for a fee. In addition, we are a www.returnpath.com customer and monitor ISP relationships, handle whitelisting, monitor blacklists and monitor performance in real-time. Let's just say we have invested heavily and can provide you a reliable outsourced, faster sending MTA.

We also have built a turn-key bounce service that integrates directly with SendStudio. If you wish to chat, drop me an email at bhoule@amplifystudios.com.

Cheers,

Brett
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump