BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Shopping Cart Community Forum > E-Commerce and Selling Online

Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Interspire Customer

Default Google Update

Anyone notice a new Google update (change in algorithm)?

Noticed a few changes to rankings since the weekend.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Interspire Customer

I'll now answer my own question

Yes, it's been confirmed that Google are doing a big change - would be interested to hear how any other have been affected (if at all) by it?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Interspire Customer

Jonathan, what tool do you use to check rankings?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Interspire Customer

We play around with this sort of thing Eve:

http://www.google.co.uk/ie?q=&num=10...ff&btnG=Search

But in general we simply search on our keywords every week to get an understanding of where we are...if there are any changes...and who is moving around.

Understanding the sites that sit at the top (or around us) in particular searches helps us target sites for inbound links.

Links that come from relevant sites for that keyword(s) are then most important inbound links to have. Often one important/relevant inbound link form a site is worth 20 that are unrelated.

It looks like a Google update started in July and is coming to an end now - still a little bit of flux and settling at the moment.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Interspire Customer

Here is a great tool we've used for seeing our keyword positions in Google, MSN (Bing) and Yahoo, as well as our competitors rankings:

http://tools.seobook.com/firefox/rank-checker/
Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Interspire Customer

SEOBook is the best site there is if you're interested in getting your site to rank better. I'm a member of their paid community, and it's top notch. The member only tools are the best on the market...I've tried many other paid communities...and the forum is unbeatable for very high quality information with no "noise". I think they're almost up to the 1000 member limit, and would HIGHLY recommend joining for anyone serious about their online business. It's the best $150/month you'll ever spend, period.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Interspire Customer

Yes, there are some very good resources around for SEO - some free and some on subscription.

Just be aware that there is a great deal of talk at the moment that 'over-optimized' sites are being marked down. Google is looking for sites that tick the boxes but are not contrived.

Read into that all you will but it is worth bearing in mind.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Yes, there are some very good resources around for SEO - some free and some on subscription.
First, I have nothing to gain by promoting SEOBook here. Second, most free SEO resources are 80-90% junk, falsehoods, or half truths. And, most paid services are also junk. I'm serious, if you want your site to do better both in ranking and conversions, check out the SEOBook community. I challenge anyone to sign up and say it's not leaps and bounds ahead of anything else out there...free or paid.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Interspire Customer

Sounds like a good investment. Would you mind detailing specific benefits you've had as a result of being a member?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClaus View Post
most free SEO resources are 80-90% junk, falsehoods, or half truths. And, most paid services are also junk.
I think you'll find it is 99% on both accounts...more cowboys than in a John Wayne film. What is it in your opinion that makes SEOBook the best? (and thanks for recommending the site).

Optimising the site is extremely important for an online store, and without doubt Google is king.

But remember the 33% rule:

33% traffic from search engines
33% from referrals (other sites)
33% direct

With this model the world doesn't go tits up when Google randomly plonks you down the rankings from 1st to 20th! And sadly this can happen for no apparent reason.