BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Email Marketer Community Forum > Customization and Integration

Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 AM
Interspire Customer

Default 18 mails per hour?

Hello,
I have been using Interspire Email Marketer for 5 months. I am hosting it on a shared Linux server. Before, I used the pop-up method to send emails, but it was too slow (about 150 emails per hour) so I configured cron, which is supposed to be better and faster. I started sending my first campaign with cron on September 24 and only 3,212 emails have been sent. That's 18 per hour!
I submitted a ticket with Interspire and they told me that there was nothing they could do because "the capacity to send has more to do with the configuration of PHP, MySQL and most importantly the MTA (mail trasfer agent)".
I'm lost here. What should I configure? With which parameters? Or is there some documentation that addresses this kind of problem?
Also, a friend who is in a contact list (her address is just once, I checked) told me that she has got this email three times! But in the statistics there's only this single campaign, started on Sep 24. That did not happen with the pop-up method either.
If there could be a way to solve these problems which would fix the campaign currently being sent, it would be great, because the event we are promoting begins in two weeks, and I wouldn't like to stop this campaign in order to use the pop-up method from the beginning, because apparently some people would receive it 4 times and surely many would unsubscribe.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vip; 10-04-2011 at 04:27 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Interspire Customer

This sounds pretty much like a performance issue on your server.

1. How much memory is allocated to the MySQL server
2. Is Interspire user set to send "unlimited messages per hour" or do you have a limit ?
3. What SMTP Server are you using, maybe the queues are full and the SMTP server is
responding very slowly
4. Did you already try to use a different SMTP server (maybe outsourced like we offer in our services)
5. What does the Apache "server-status" page give for information ?

PROMO : Signup today for our SMTP Relay services and receive a free license of our MPS Addon !

Bram Van Daele

TENEO SMTP relay services
http://esp.teneo.be

(Contact me directly)
Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Interspire Customer

Thank you for your quick reply, Teneo
I set Interspire to send a maximum of 250 mails per hour (that's the limit of my hosting provider). I will check all the rest of the information and post it tonight or tomorrow morning. But I'm thinking that even if I can know, with your help, what is wrong with the configuration of the server (not to say its performance), I won't be able to directly change the settings, because it's a shared server. And if I tell my provider which resources to increase, maybe they won't want to.
The best solution could be to switch to Modwest hosting, which is a partner of Interspire, so they must have the right configuration and available resources to use the Email Marketer optimally.
The thing is that I'm in a hurry, and it will take some time to move the webpage and reinstall Interspire, but that might be faster than finding out the reason of the problem, communicating it to my provider (sending tickets and waiting for responses) and then waiting for them to make the changes in the configuration. On the other hand, I don't know if switching to Modwest would be a conclusive solution.
What is your advice?
Thanks.

Last edited by vip; 10-04-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Interspire Customer

I sure would recommend moving to another environment, preferably a semi-dedicated or dedicated if you can afford it.

We also provide Interspire hosting services and email delivery services if you are interested.
get in touch with me directly via link below.

PROMO : Signup today for our SMTP Relay services and receive a free license of our MPS Addon !

Bram Van Daele

TENEO SMTP relay services
http://esp.teneo.be

(Contact me directly)