BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Website Publisher 5 > News and Product updates

Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 AM

Default Interspire Website Publisher 5.0

Today we released Interspire Website Publisher 5.0.

More information on the product can be viewed here: http://www.interspire.com/websitepublisher/

A video demonstrating the major features is here: http://static.interspire.com/iwp-demo/index.html

This page has information on the upgrade process and information on features that are present in 4.5 but not in 5.0: http://idn.interspire.com/articles/6...-50/Page1.html
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Interspire Customer

Default Oh no, why did you remove one of the best features....!??

First, sorry for posting on this thread, I'm having difficulty starting a new one!

Second, congrats on the release: some of your enhancements (particularly in layout and content types) really push the envelope on ease of use for a CMS!

Now onto the "oh no" part: why did you remove the ability to have content contributors through the web site?!! I almost built a site in Website Publisher 4.5 because of this feature; the only reason I didn't use it for that site was lack of custom content types. Now you add custom content types and took away this feature!

Specifically what I'm referring to is the ability for a visitor to the website to request the ability to be an article contributor. Once approved, they could fill out forms right on the web site that generate new blog entries, articles, etc. No need to give them access to the control panel.

From my time with the 5.0 demo, it looks like all users must be explicitly created in the Control Panel, and must add content through the Control Panel! And the maximum number of users even an Enterprise License will allow is 20! In fact, Website Publisher now resembles Knowledge Manager in this regard.

This, unfortunately, makes it impossible to build a community site. How can we allow user-generated content without the ability to log in / log out of the web site and submit content through the site?

I'm hoping that a forthcoming module is planned that allows registration of contributors through the web site (without impacting the user license cap), log in / log out, and content submission through the site like in WP 4.5.

One more disappointing issue from my playing with the demo so far:

Why can't I came the fields of my custom content type whatever I want to? If I want to create a "Quote of the Day" content type, I'm not able to create a field called "Quote", it seems like I must call it "Content". Also, where is the ability to create my own fields beyond just using the default set? Example, if I want a field in my "Quote of the Day" content type that holds a "Quote Attributed To" field as well as the "Author" field for holding who actually entered the quote into the CMS, how do I do this? If I use the "Author" field once, I can't rename it or use it again.

Typically in a CMS, I can create any field I want and specify it as a Date Field, Text Field, Text/HTML Area, etc. Will this be supported in the near future.

All that said, I love the seamless ease of adding module features to a content type (brilliant, guys!!). The ability to add in a more complex functionality like e-mail to friend, or downloadable attachments to any content type is a real breakthrough in my opinion.

Could you reassure me about my issues above because I was SO hoping to build one of my upcoming sites with this new software, and it's not where I need it to be feature-wise at this moment. Which is really silly considering that the missing feature was already in the previous version of the same product!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Interspire Customer

Yeah you've echoed my feelings about this new version dangalf. As Interspire state in their blog

"The product was in development for close to a year and has been designed from the ground..."

I suspect that this is why so many features present in v4.5 are absent from v5.0. I am unsure why Interspire abandoned the front-end article submission/editing feature as this was quite good. I can remember years ago avidly requesting more extensive front-end editing control and this was indeed implemented to good effect in v4. I hope Interspire haven't completely abandoned this functionality.

In agreence with dangalf I also dont understand why you can't create your own fully customisable fields when editing content types. The ability to create your own content types would be so much more flexible and powerful if I could, for instance, create my own text/textarea/radio buttons/drop menu field specific to my websites needs. Then if we wanted to print these fields to the article itself we could simply add a special variable to the template where we want it to appear.

Among some of the features now absent I especially miss the ability to make selected categories password protected. Even in version 4.5.x I had great difficulty in protecting certain documents from search engines and still had to set up a robots.txt file and manually remove entries using Google's Webmaster Tools. It'd be really nice if every piece of content could have a security option...but that's something I'll add in the ideas forum.

Aside from the missing features the new v5 is certainly "glossy" with plenty of bells and whistles. I hope the new platform allows Interspire to develop this script as prolifically as they have with the shopping cart over the last year.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangalf View Post
First, sorry for posting on this thread, I'm having difficulty starting a new one!
New threads in this 'News and Product updates' forum is restricted to moderators only. If you own the product and sync your forum account with your client area account then you will see a few other forums you can post to.

Quote:
Second, congrats on the release: some of your enhancements (particularly in layout and content types) really push the envelope on ease of use for a CMS!

Now onto the "oh no" part: why did you remove the ability to have content contributors through the web site?!! I almost built a site in Website Publisher 4.5 because of this feature; the only reason I didn't use it for that site was lack of custom content types. Now you add custom content types and took away this feature!
Well, we didn't really remove it, we just haven't implemented it yet.

IWP 5.0 is a complete rewrite, as in there is no code from IWP 4.5 in IWP 5.0 (other than our standard Interspire libraries). We built it from the ground up with the intention of it being much more flexible. Its been under development for at least a year now, the majority of which has been developing the core of the application.

At this point we were faced with a decision: release or continue development. Continued development may have meant more features for the initial release, though that release may have been delayed another 6 months at least. Furthermore for those 6 months we would be making a loss on the product, as we have developers working on it, but no income coming in from it. It would also lead to a closed environment where we develop based solely on what we think should be in it. By releasing it now we can talk with our customers. We can see what you want most and we can also see what is and isn't working.

Front end user permissions will be in a future update. Which version I can't say specifically (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next one, I think it's a very important feature also). We know it's something a lot of customers want and it is something that we will implement.

Quote:
From my time with the 5.0 demo, it looks like all users must be explicitly created in the Control Panel, and must add content through the Control Panel! And the maximum number of users even an Enterprise License will allow is 20! In fact, Website Publisher now resembles Knowledge Manager in this regard.

This, unfortunately, makes it impossible to build a community site. How can we allow user-generated content without the ability to log in / log out of the web site and submit content through the site?
We envisage that "front end users" will not count towards such a maximum, though at this stage it isn't something we've decided on yet. We will be realistic when taking into account community websites.

Quote:
Why can't I came the fields of my custom content type whatever I want to? If I want to create a "Quote of the Day" content type, I'm not able to create a field called "Quote", it seems like I must call it "Content". Also, where is the ability to create my own fields beyond just using the default set? Example, if I want a field in my "Quote of the Day" content type that holds a "Quote Attributed To" field as well as the "Author" field for holding who actually entered the quote into the CMS, how do I do this? If I use the "Author" field once, I can't rename it or use it again.

Typically in a CMS, I can create any field I want and specify it as a Date Field, Text Field, Text/HTML Area, etc. Will this be supported in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
In agreence with dangalf I also dont understand why you can't create your own fully customisable fields when editing content types. The ability to create your own content types would be so much more flexible and powerful if I could, for instance, create my own text/textarea/radio buttons/drop menu field specific to my websites needs. Then if we wanted to print these fields to the article itself we could simply add a special variable to the template where we want it to appear.
This is something we are looking at implementing soon too. The framework for it is there. You can essentially create these fields using modules at the moment as modules can define their own content fields easily. Module documentation will be up in a week or so. Creating a 'custom fields' interface in the control panel is planned for a future version.

Quote:
Could you reassure me about my issues above because I was SO hoping to build one of my upcoming sites with this new software, and it's not where I need it to be feature-wise at this moment. Which is really silly considering that the missing feature was already in the previous version of the same product!!!
Though it shares the same name, it really is a different product. Perhaps we should have kept IWP 4.5 under the 'ArticleLive' name and released IWP 5.0 under the new 'Website Publisher' name. Hindsight is 20/20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
Aside from the missing features the new v5 is certainly "glossy" with plenty of bells and whistles. I hope the new platform allows Interspire to develop this script as prolifically as they have with the shopping cart over the last year.
Please remember that this release isn't "it". It's just the very beginning. There are many more features going to come. With our new module system, better core code and advanced permissions system, it's even easier for us to add new and more advanced features.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 AM
Interspire Customer

Default Thanks for the clarification!

Ahhh... I see the situation now in regards to the difference between "removing features" and "haven't implemented features within the new framework yet". I should have caught this in your blog post as johnnybegood did. Thanks for your response on it -- I really appreciate the clarification and do feel suitably reassured.

Since my day job is also with a software development company, I 100% understand the need to occasionally draw the line in the sand and say "this is what we are going to get released now, and these other features in development will come out in the next release". I think this was the right choice as a lot of users will be able to use and benefit immediately from the great piece of software you just released. And you'll be able to support the continued development of additional features.

I'm really looking forward to the Module documentation so I can start digging in more to the capabilities of the system, and get some insight into how you hook the pieces of content together (plus how to customize how my custom content appears on the page). Hopefully it will be accessible to the non-PHP gurus among us... I have done basic stuff in PHP, but it is not a language I know in any sort of depth.

Meanwhile, it's still very enjoyable to work with the very polished product you created and the possibilities for future features are quite exciting.

I do hope you'll take a pricing approach for front end users that encourages use of the software for social sites and applications. The rest of the product is so well-suited for it, that I think it would be a shame if there was a cost impact that discouraged WP sites from growing to have thousands of contributing users. My suggestion: perhaps front-end users can contribute and view content without a per user license, but anyone who does review and approval (including comment / forum moderation), design, or custom content types is a paid/licensed control panel user. This way, as sites using WP grow and start having more users and content, they will naturally need more reviewers and moderators and designers, so you will benefit from powering these growing sites with additional control panel licenses, without directly limiting their growth by introducing costs for front end users who may not even end up contributing or using the site at all!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Interspire Customer

Good the hear all this Jordie - was a bit put off by not being able to add custom fields yet, but this is reassuring.

I actually figured this might be the case as I know it's been in development a good long while.

What's there now is great as dangalf says, and great for simpler community-driven sites, but the addition of module documentation and create/drag/drop custom fields in the backend would enable me personally to use it in several larger scale projects (tens of thousands of members on a site, thousands of articles requiring many different content types and custom fields as a rough idea of what I'm thinking of using it for).

I can wait though
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Interspire Customer

For the most part I'm thrilled with 5.0 with a few exceptions:

1. Currently Sub-categories cannot be made. There is a "New Sub-Category" link but it does not create a sub category. This is a very big issue for me.

2. The WYSIWYG editor that was available when creating categories is gone. I was going to have a brief category description and sell ad space for each category--this is no longer an option.

3. The ability for people to log in to contribute stories as mentioned above is a HUGE issue. The Community aspect of Website Publisher is gone. I figured that the changes were in addition to what was already available.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Interspire Customer

The Video doesnt show this but how are multi-page articles handled in WP5.0? Is it still the same where you can click a button to add a new page and then each page can be individually edited in its own Editor?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgandon View Post
1. Currently Sub-categories cannot be made. There is a "New Sub-Category" link but it does not create a sub category. This is a very big issue for me.

2. The WYSIWYG editor that was available when creating categories is gone. I was going to have a brief category description and sell ad space for each category--this is no longer an option.
Please post a support ticket for these two. I can not replicate the first issue on our local copy or the demo. I believe it may be a result of the problem you're having for the second issue where the WYSIWYG editor is not showing up (which it should be).
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
The Video doesnt show this but how are multi-page articles handled in WP5.0? Is it still the same where you can click a button to add a new page and then each page can be individually edited in its own Editor?
Yep, each page can still be edited in its own editor. You just need to make sure your content type has the 'additional pages' field.