BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Shopping Cart Community Forum > E-Commerce and Selling Online

Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Would you mind detailing specific benefits you've had as a result of being a member?
Sure.

-I save a couple hundred dollars a month by having taken advice to reduce some of my monthly business expenses...Phone.com rather than AT&T for instance.

-I've gotten hundreds of "easy", good links based on tips shared in the forum, which are not shared outside of it...which have directly increased my rankings.

-I've gotten specific advice on site changes and link building that have both saved me from tanking my site and helped me to rank a lot better.

-I've learned a TON about how to build links, how to create unique content, what is and what isn't REALLY important for ranking, etc.

-Forum members have given me custom code on many occasions to do everything from hiding affiliate links to fixing problems with my site.

-There is so much quality information in the forums, and so many very high quality moderators and members, that you could literally spend all day, every day learning. The challenge is to actually choose what to do and do it.

-The "local rank" tool will show you common links that the top XX sites in Google have, from the top XXX sites in Google for any given keyword. I've found plenty of links with that tool.

-The "competitive research" tool will tell you what your competitors are ranking for, what % of traffic their terms are bringing them, what the monetary value of that traffic is, etc. I've discovered additional terms to target using this tool that I never would have found otherwise.

-Because there are so many members with lots of high performing sites, you know right away when Google has made changes, how the changes are effecting the SERPs, and what you can do to stay on top.

At least a couple of times a month I learn something or find a "tip" that makes me say, damn, that's worth a year of the membership cost. If the price was upped to $1000/month, I wouldn't think twice about staying. It would be a no-brainer.

For someone without a website and with little time, it might not be that valuable. But if you're serious about your site, and especially if you're using it as your main source of income, it will be the best money you've ever spent.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
What is it in your opinion that makes SEOBook the best?
It's the community. The tools are great, the training material is excellent...but the forum/community makes it the best. If you have ANY question, you post it, and you'll have a high quality answer in a couple of minutes normally. Aaron is almost always on the forum (and responding to every thread), as are the moderators. Other forums either have a LOT of noise, as you mentioned, you're limited in the questions you can ask, or the response time is long. And, there is no ego whatsoever. No one acts as if they are above anyone else, etc.

Quote:
But remember the 33% rule:

33% traffic from search engines
33% from referrals (other sites)
33% direct
I think this is a GREAT idea in theory, but if you rank well for your targeted keywords in Google it will likely be impossible for an e-commerce store. Google can send so much traffic, that unless you've got a VERY recognizable brand...that everyone knows...it's going to be REALLY tough to get 66% of your traffic outside of search.

Quote:
With this model the world doesn't go tits up when Google randomly plonks you down the rankings from 1st to 20th! And sadly this can happen for no apparent reason.
Very true. That's one of the reasons I love the SEOBook forum...because the strategies and tactics people discuss are high quality and lead to long term rankings.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Interspire Customer

BTW: The members are from all over the world. I'm in Austria, so it's great to have a forum where quality people are on 24/7. Aaron seems to be up at all hours day and night, and some of the moderators are in Europe and Asia...so you never have to wait for a good response to a question.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyREFLUX View Post
Anyone notice a new Google update (change in algorithm)?

Noticed a few changes to rankings since the weekend.
yes there was a slight change, on an old site I had I always used to try an keep an eye out for the 36 day 'google dance' cycle and wait with trepidation to see where we would rank, could pin it down to a specific couple of days in the end which was useful for timing any seo work. Of course theres often slightly different results depending on which of the 10 datacentres your linked to.

plenty of 'dance tools' to monitor www2 and 3 out there now

Last edited by scruffydoo; 08-05-2009 at 02:48 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClaus View Post
SEOBook is the best site there is if you're interested in getting your site to rank better. I'm a member of their paid community, and it's top notch. The member only tools are the best on the market...I've tried many other paid communities...and the forum is unbeatable for very high quality information with no "noise". I think they're almost up to the 1000 member limit, and would HIGHLY recommend joining for anyone serious about their online business. It's the best $150/month you'll ever spend, period.
This is VERY true. Aaron Wall knows his stuff and he supports that community very well. I am a regular reader and long-time follower of his and he is top notch for anyone needing to learn the SEO ropes... he's even great for people who want to continue learning after already having a good understanding of SEO.

In addition to SEOBook, I also recommend SEOmoz.org - You can read their blog for free - which is an awesome resource, or you can subscribe to their tools as well. The price is slightly less at $79 per month, but the new Linkscape tool is awesome.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Interspire Customer

@SantaClaus Interspire love spruking that their shopping cart has been built on advice from Aaron. I would love to know what extent he looked at the shopping cart as there are some really elementary problems (e.g. SEO URLs, duplicate content etc) that I wouldn't want to have my name associated to.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Melville

If things keep at this pace I might rename this blog to Daily Google Tips. Over the last two weeks we have been talking about Google every other day. This time it is the PageRank buzz again.

Both Problogger and Copyblogger, two of the most popular blogs on the niche, announced that their PR dropped from 6 to 4. Previously other authority blogs confirmed that they lost PR, but the suspect was towards paid links. Given that Problogger and Copyblogger are not selling links, it might be just a readjustment on the PR scale.

Some people are arguing that since the PR drop is not generalized, it must be a slap from Google due to practices that conflict with its guidelines. Andy Beard suggested that the sites that got penalized were either selling links or exchanging them inside large blog networks. This is a feasible explanation given that most of the Weblogs, Inc blogs (Engadget above all) were penalized, and they do not sell paid links either.

Here is a list that I gathered with big blogs that supposedly lost PR on this issue:

* Statcounter (from 10 to 6)
* Engadget (from 7 to 5)
* AutoBlog (from 6 to 4)
* Problogger (from 6 to 4)
* Copyblogger (from 6 to 4)
* AdesBlog (from 7 to 5)
* Search Engine Journal (from 7 to 4)
* Quick Online Tips (from 6 to 3)
* Search Engine Roundtable (from 7 to 4)
* Blog Herald (from 6 to 4)
* Weblog Tools Collection (from 6 to 4)
* JohnTP (from 6 to 4)
* Coolest Gadgets (from 5 to 3)
* CyberNet News (from 6 to 4)

Update: It looks like mainstream websites that were selling links were also penalized:

* Washington Post (from 7 to 5)
* Washington Times (from 6 to 4)
* Charlotte Observer (from 6 to 4)
* Forbes.com (from 7 to 5)
* SFGate.com (from 7 to 5)
* Sun Times (from 7 to 5)
* New Scientist (from 7 to 5)
* Seattle Times (from 6 to 4)

Update 2: After reading through the avalanche of posts on the subject, it appears that this is not a PageRank update but rather a distribution of penalties (either automatic or manual). The theory that the penalized blogs were either selling links or part of a network that used a cross-linking strategy seems to hold.

This is the topic regarding the Google update...