BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Shopping Cart Community Forum > News and Product Updates

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator

You can create a template to export. Do you mean a layout/design template for the eBay listing or an export format template? The integration will be smooth and automated - there will be no export from ISC to eBay or vice-versa.

Mitchell Harper
Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer, Interspire
Email: mitchell.harper [AT] interspire [DOT] com
Phone (AUS): +612 9262-7770
Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Interspire Customer

That's great Mitch. The way you're saying it will work will be much better than export/import. In terms of functionality, I was thinking this addon mod for xcart had many nice features that possibly could be integrated:

http://www.safetynetweb.com/Auction-...CART-pr-5.html

Thanks
Mike

Add a Panel and Add Content with WYSIWYG Editor
http://interspire.uservoice.com/foru...in-design-mode
Old 02-02-2010, 04:30 AM
rogerdren

I am a member of ebay but never got these many queries regarding the ebay.Thanks for the queries.I will be with feedback soon.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch (Interspire Staff) View Post
Hi everyone,

The next version of Interspire Shopping Cart (version 6.0) will include the ability to list products for sale on eBay (as well as many other features).

As we continue to build out the product's feature set, one of our major focuses is on the marketing aspect of ecommerce, which means getting more customers to your online store and eBay gets millions of visits a month so we think it's the perfect way for the average business owner to increase their online sales significantly.

We're currently in the research and planning stages, and wanted to open up the forum for your feedback on eBay selling integration, specifically:

1. Have you or do you currently sell on eBay? If so, what?

- Yes, All the products that are on store (in stock) are on ebay as well

2. Have you used eBay selling integration in an ecommerce platform before? If so, what did you like about it and what didn't you like?

- no

3. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant, would you use auction listings, Buy It Now listings or both?

- we use Buy it now listings ONLY

4. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant, would it be for listings on the eBay website or for your own eBay store?

- i don't think there is a difference in the UK

5. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant and you have experience selling on eBay, what do you expect from the feature (besides the obvious ability to list items for sale and/or auction on eBay)?

- Stock control is the most obvious feature and probably the most important. (so the listings must be linked to the product)

6. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant where would you ship your orders? Locally, nationally or internationally, and where are you located?

- we ship within Europe and also Australia / USA / Canada / Japan. Located in UK

Thanks in advance for your feedback. There are very few e-commerce offerings with excellent eBay integration that's a) easy to use and b) flexible, so we think we can really help you win more customers with this feature and we're excited to hear your feedback.
This will be a very interesting development. Answers above

one or two things of a note.
1. our ebay prices are different than our store prices so if an automatic listing facility is created we would required the option to enter different price.
2. our shipping charges are also different in ebay than our own store
3. as per eBay's guidelines there should be absolutely no mention of our store URL otherwise we could be banned (although i would love a template similar to the store)

if you require further info (or even a guinea pig) let us know
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Interspire Customer

Just to mirror the need to resolve existing bugs and features such as variations, taxation, etc... properly before moving on to the next big thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch (Interspire Staff) View Post
1. Have you or do you currently sell on eBay? If so, what?
A limited number of the main products from my ISC store

Quote:
2. Have you used eBay selling integration in an ecommerce platform before? If so, what did you like about it and what didn't you like?
No.

Quote:
3. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant, would you use auction listings, Buy It Now listings or both?
BIN

Quote:
4. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant, would it be for listings on the eBay website or for your own eBay store?
Store

Quote:
5. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant and you have experience selling on eBay, what do you expect from the feature (besides the obvious ability to list items for sale and/or auction on eBay)?
- Custom pricing (option/calculator for ebay fees on listing)
- Variations handling?
- Linked self-hosted images
- Common fields auto-filled (ie: Checkout instructions)
- Custom postage options
- TAX information

Quote:
6. If you would consider using this feature as a merchant where would you ship your orders? Locally, nationally or internationally, and where are you located?
International

UK Based
Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Interspire Customer

I really dont think ebay integration should be on the todo list at all - It would be a nice feature to have BUT...Integration difficulties such as different pricing, variations, freight, payment methods etc etc make it all to difficult and ultimatly it will probably be to inflexible to be used by a lot of clients. Development time should be spent on making the existing features more usable.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 AM

I for one am very happy to see eBay integration. I get many sales from eBay and having this feature will only help myself and the product for everybody.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion21 View Post
I for one am very happy to see eBay integration. I get many sales from eBay and having this feature will only help myself and the product for everybody.
I agree. Having eBay integrated is a must considering the sheer volume.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Interspire Customer

Just to mirror MyShop again, I'd agree that it would be a very useful feature IF it was written properly from the beginning and taking into account the peculiarities, quirks and potential changes that eBay love to throw into the mix from time to time.

To give an example of where things get complicated..

I sell a kit which could be classed as a printer accessory kit.

UK rules on this (and certain other categories) currently require a free shipping option which has resulted in me having to list the kit price as higher and offer a free shipping option, then other shipping options taking into account the higher price.

This requirement is due to change such that the first shipping option must be offered at a cost no more than £7.99. So, my prices for this kit can now be changed back to the normal price and I get to list my normal shipping options.

Now, my kits are also listed on my ISC store under a generic product name and I provide a page for customers to find the correct kit for their printer. On eBay I cannot provide a link to that page (because it's hosted on my ISC store obviously) so I've found that on eBay I need to have multiple listings for each printer group so that the eBay search provides the correct kit in the results.

Product descriptions are also an issue... If you have any links to external information, either on your store, FAQ articles, etc... you can't include them in your eBay listing because it breaks the T&C. Additionally you may have references to other products in your store that are vital complimentary products.. These links and/or nuggets of information may be vital to maintaining clarity and good customer service so how do you deal with this without creating an alternative description field for eBay?

Next up we have the fact that eBay costs considerably more for me to host my listings on so my pricing there has a premium on it to cover this additional cost. My ISC store is considerably cheaper so that needs to be taken into account.

Going back to my example, we have the fact that these kits also come with variations on ISC but there's no way to provide this on eBay so I would have to create individual listings on eBay for each kit variation to make it work, or simply deselect it for any export. The former option is hugely expensive while the latter means eBay it out..

Stock levels are also something to integrate although I'd imagine that would relatively simple, but unless the system is polling for orders through an email trigger or checking the eBay order page, then checking the ISC inventory before updating BOTH sites it's going to be next to useless if you have limited stocks.. Over selling stock would be the most likely result of a system that only checked every hour and the result of that is never good. There are some possible solutions but technically they are quite complex so something simple suddenly isn't.

Anyway, this is just a small example of the complexity involved and as MyShop pointed out, the time could be much better spent rewriting functionality that has been left half finished. It seems that is happening but the rush to get new features in could use a complete halt until everything else is fixed.

This eBay integration/export idea would be great but I would imagine something like 2-3 months of detailed research of the way eBay works, could work and comparisons against ISC's system is vital otherwise it's another marketing gimmick with no use to anyone who actually intends to use ISC (or BigCommerce) to even half its potential.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Interspire Customer

I may be missing something, but would a good feature for ISC to have besides (or instead of) integrating with ebay, they should integrate with amazon market place.

Or is that already built in?
Closed Thread