BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Shopping Cart Community Forum > News and Product Updates

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.granger View Post
We might be too late
Lets make them pay in November!

Vote for Preorder \ Backorder Functionality
http://ideas.interspire.com/pages/sh...-functionality

Vote for better shipping calculations, multiple boxes, etc.
http://ideas.interspire.com/pages/35...oxes?ref=title
Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Interspire Customer

Default eBay Integration Can be Problematic

Hi Mitch,

Frankly I have mixed feelings about eBay integration. First of all let me tell you that I have been selling on eBay since '99 and I currently list 50 auctions per week. I'm an eBay Powerseller with over 6000 transactions so I have a good bit of experience with the eBay platform.

I have used the premier high-end tool Marketworks which was purchased by ChannelAdvisor, Blackthorne and Auctiva. These tools focus on eBay and do an exceptional job. Their downfall is on the Ecommerce cart side. They all have stores associated with their products, but I have found they generally are lacking on features and functionality.

The original reasoning behind listing with a store used to be that eBay would allow an integrated checkout system so that the customer would checkout their eBay purchase through the store and hopfully be exposed to additional items and further purchase. That is no longer the case, other than the capability to use my merchant CC account.

The real benefit would be in inventory management. That is a benefit but can get extremely complicated when you are selling unique items or items with limited inventory. If I list an item on eBay can I still have it for sale on in my Interspire store? You can see the possible pitfalls you run into.

The other issue is with listing templates and in my case custom listing templates. A listing tool like Auctiva for example has hundreds. They also have a template system built around eBay marketing, relisting, shipping and checkout. By the way that tool used to be free for years and is now a minimal monthly amount.

I also use different titles for eBay, some with subtitles than I use for the same item in my store. Sometimes I also use different photos or change the number or arrangement of photos for eBay and the store. Some items I just want to list on eBay and not in the store. Descrriptions can also be different.

You would also need to improve the photo upload, editing and possibly provide photo hosting to be a top notch eBay listing tool.

When I start to think of all the different functionality and flexibility needed to really have a top notch tool it will be a huge undertaking. I have used and seen Storefront.net's integration tool. It did such basic integration that it was really worthless to anyone other than a low level basic eBay user.

So, in my opinion I would think you'll get more bang for the buck in continuing to improve your core product. If you end up doing an integration it more than likely would only really work for the occasional eBay seller.

For me I can tell you the biggest issue with my Interspire store is the lack of tight integration with an order processing package. I currently use Auctiva for eBay and then integrate with Shipworks and I can process 10 orders in an hour including invoicing and printing shipping labels for either Endicia, UPS or FEDEX. With my store it takes much much longer. Shipworks is a great tool for low to mid level stores and eBay.

I understand that Stoneedge is a great product and will now work with Interspire. I've chacked it out thoroughly. The issue there is that it is over $1500 and is a little overkill for someone that might get 20 orders one day and three the next. If I ever get to the 50 to 100 orders per day level I would switch to Stoneedge. Until then it would sure be great to get some type of integration with Shipworks. They currently integrate with multiple carts, just not ours. I contacted them about a year ago and asked them to contact Interspire which they said they did. Haven't heard aything since.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Kerry
http://stores.ebay.com/STENOTECH
http://www.stenotech.com
Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Interspire Customer

One of the most professional eBay stores I've seen Kerry - very impressive.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Interspire Customer

IMHO one of the biggest mistakes software development companies make is software bloat. Companies get carried away with being able to market new features without really thinking about how their clients are likely to use them. The danger Interspire faces with this feature is coding somthing that they will have to either spend A LOT of time updating in the future to get right OR dumping it after they realise its a waste of time.

Such a complex feature should NOT be included in ISC - At least not at this stage in its development. There are plenty of dedicated ebay selling systems for people to use and ISC would benifit more from programmers spending time fixing existing features and making the solution more robust. The better the foundation the more you can pile on later.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshop View Post
Such a complex feature should NOT be included in ISC - At least not at this stage in its development. There are plenty of dedicated ebay selling systems for people to use and ISC would benifit more from programmers spending time fixing existing features and making the solution more robust. The better the foundation the more you can pile on later.
What he said...

It makes a great soundbite in the forums but by now Mitch, you must have realised that the BC GetSatisfaction forums are headed in the same direction as this one. The same issues are being raised that were raised here a year or more ago and you are in danger or repeating the same mistakes as a result...

Concentrate on the core product, make a big song and dance about how that's more important than the "Oooh, pretty feature" routine and follow through on ALL communication channels open to you.

Probably wasting my breath once again but hey... that horse still doesn't quite look dead...

@Kerry, thanks for your concise and rather well put comments...
Closed Thread