BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Shopping Cart Community Forum > News and Product Updates

Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) is offline
Customer Service

Default Shopping Cart Being Discontinued On July 1st

As you may know if you’ve been following along, our focus lately has been on BigCommerce, which is our SaaS e-commerce offering. BigCommerce has been growing extremely fast since it was launched in 2009 and it’s now very close to reaching 25,000 clients.

When we launched Interspire back in 2003, SaaS was still a new concept and our focus, much like everyone else’s was on perpetually licensed (or “behind the firewall”, as it’s now called) software. Since then, times have of course changed and now most software is delivered on-demand.

As a result, today we’re announcing that on July 1st 2012 we will be discontinuing the following products:

Interspire Shopping Cart
Interspire Knowledge Manager
Interspire Website Publisher

This means that up until July 1st you will still be able to purchase licenses of these products, however on July 1st we will no longer be selling new licenses, upgrades or extra maintenance.

All existing clients will continue to receive support until their maintenance period expires, however after July 1st there won’t be an option to extend or renew any maintenance period.

If you are an Interspire Shopping Cart customer and would like to switch to BigCommerce, then please go here to learn more. We have partners dedicated to assisting with the migration process and you can look forward to dozens of new features which are part of BigCommerce.

Thank you for supporting the Interspire products over the years and we hope they’ve helped you grow your business and revenues. Our focus moving forwards is on BigCommerce and really empowering business owners to take advantage of our SaaS e-commerce offering to grow their business.

Scott Smithwick
Interspire Manager
Toll-Free: 1 800 939 5570
US: 1 512 758 7618

"Web Software Inspired by You"
http://www.interspire.com/
Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Interspire Customer

So if we purchase a new upgrades and maintenance contract for 12 months before the 1st of July:

(a) Will the software continue to have bugs fixed, and bug patches released by support?
(b) Are the current bugs fixed? I believe from these forums that there is a problem with the categories in the current version, as well as reviews being spammed.
(c) When you do cease support for it, will all of the known bugs be fixed, so it will be a fully mature product, or will it be left with known bugs?

Personally I am at a crossroads as to whether to pay to upgrade to the newest version, and get the latest secure version so my client can have a couple of years at least of trouble free shopping cart usage. I do fear that I will be upgrading form 5.x to 6.1.8 and I will encounter bugs that may not end up being fixed. So hopefully you can provide me with some reassurance that it is worth it, and I am not going to have problems with unfixed bugs, that will never get fixed.

When I emailed you a few months ago, you did tell me the Interspire shopping cart was now a developers cart to use as base for building a custom shopping cart, and that only bug / security fixes would be released in the future, so no longer any upgrades to features. However you didn't give me any indication that it was going to be ceased to be supported too in the future.
Therefore in the future is it possible that the code will become open source, to allow developers to use and further develop it, and other developers to support it. My fear is that in a year, hackers may find security holes in the software, and we would have no way to fix those holes, which may mean we would need to abandon the cart with would be a huge cost. Opensourcing could benefit both developers and your company too with big commerce gaining new features from the development community, and it would continue to be kept up to date in terms of security.

Personally I can't use big commerce for my own clients as it can't be white labeled, and the disksapce and bandwidth quota allocations are too tiny to make it affordable, when you are getting through a couple of GBs of traffic a day. Although I have referred a few people who wanted to build and manage their own cart, onto it, and it is fine for that sort of thing, but there is no real money in that for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Interspire Customer

Yeah, the big issue for me is the $$ - I could make coin from reselling ISC, but cant make a living reselling BigCommerce - But I can reselling CS-Cart. So I suppose I will need to work with both.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshop View Post
Yeah, the big issue for me is the $$ - I could make coin from reselling ISC, but cant make a living reselling BigCommerce - But I can reselling CS-Cart. So I suppose I will need to work with both.
There is also the hosting where you can make money on, which you can't if your client uses big commerce. Hosting is the bread and butter, where you are getting a steady income, which you don't get from setting up the odd shopping cart. You need a steady income from hosting to make this sort of thing profitable.This is why a white labeled reseller system is needed. Otherwise the client can bypass us and just signup to big commerce directly. I had a possible client do this, and even though I spend ages explaing the interspire/big commerce system and it's benefits over over shopping carts, they signed up directly to big commerce and I didn't see any percentage commission, even though I am a big commerce partner.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Interspire Customer

Yeah, this is exactly my issue.

I also dont feel confident in building their business and not my own. Who knows if or when they decide not to pay the commiussions any longer - Or change the rules or change the amount etc.

Time to learn other carts me thinks :-)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Interspire Customer

I also find it borderline criminal the way the cart customers have been left in the lurch with updates - There are several issues with the cart that customers would expect to have fixed inline with the maintenance system.

Examples:

Google Picnik closed - BigCommerce have an alternative, ISC customers - even thou they have valid maintenance contracts dont.
Google Maps API update - ISC needs to be updated to cater for the new API.
Customer reviews getting spammed - BigCommerce has had updates to this, nothing for ISC.
Create an Account Page - has no captcha - So clients get hundreds of fake customer account signups - Fixed in BC months ago.
IE9 compatability issues - Not fixed in ISC, but fixed in BC - causes me many calls a week from confused and upset clients.
PHP5.3 - nusoap component uses ereg - a depriciated component, which while only causing log notifications now, will cause the cart to cease working in a near future version of PHP.
Inventory Control - Allows inventory to go into negative as not enough checks are done during the view cart and proceed to checkout stages - Again, fixed in BC, not in ISC.
IEM Integration Issues - Currently there are two fatal integration issues in ISC code preventing proper integration with IEM unless hacks are done. Its terrible that these have not been fixed in ISC and patches released.

Last edited by Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff); 05-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Please discuss partner issues with Lee or Stephen
Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshop View Post
I also find it borderline criminal the way the cart customers have been left in the lurch with updates - There are several issues with the cart that customers would expect to have fixed inline with the maintenance system.

Examples:

Google Picnik closed - BigCommerce have an alternative, ISC customers - even thou they have valid maintenance contracts dont.
Google Maps API update - ISC needs to be updated to cater for the new API.
Customer reviews getting spammed - BigCommerce has had updates to this, nothing for ISC.
IE9 compatability issues - Not fixed in ISC, but fixed in BC - causes me many calls a week from confused and upset clients.
PHP5.3 - nusoap component uses ereg - a depriciated component, which while only causing log notifications now, will cause the cart to cease working in a near future version of PHP.
Inventory Control - Allows inventory to go into negative as not enough checks are done during the view cart and proceed to checkout stages - Again, fixed in BC, not in ISC.
IEM Integration Issues - Currently there are two fatal integration issues in ISC code preventing proper integration with IEM unless hacks are done. Its terrible that these have not been fixed in ISC and patches released.
I would expect all those problems to be fixed as part of the product updates part of the contract. eg If we find a problem with the shop that shouldn't be there, then it should be fixed. php 5.3 is a bit of a big one too, as my host will be moving all sites over to that soon, so I wan to make sure the site continues to work on that. But perhaps Scott can clarify. Basically I want to know what I will be getting when I pay for my updates and maintenance/support contract.

Last edited by Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff); 05-04-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) is offline
Customer Service

Very good questions. Unfortunately I do not have an official answer yet. I'll follow up next week once I know more.

Scott Smithwick
Interspire Manager
Toll-Free: 1 800 939 5570
US: 1 512 758 7618

"Web Software Inspired by You"
http://www.interspire.com/
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
snooper

EVERY version of ISC has been a bag of bugs.. EVERY version has had the same list of known bugs and so called bug fixes. And has never progressed to something useable and actually works !!

There is NO trust in the product and less in the lack of support or openness to why bugs NEVER get sorted..

How can any body dare ask people to cross from what they can at least have 'some' control over (tentative as it is), to a product where you will surely have them by the balls and even less say.. (this eludes to your fading out the forum at some point)

It would have been by far the better to have stopped the BS version jumps and simply help current customers into staying and debug what we have spent small fortunes and lost many hours sleep over...

A happy customer stays and pays , while customers who feel p*ssed on know they have choice with many (and there are) many free carts with less bugs or as damn it, no bugs AND most importantly, better support !!

My 'rant', for what it's worth...

Last edited by snooper; 05-05-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mservices View Post
This is really so sad to us.
Service Providers cant make money on BigCommerce due to
1 - cant private label
2 - hosting
3 - ssl
and more.

@Scott, will it be alright If I will continue to do upgrades/updates/bug fixing and offer this to existing clients? That way they wont be left behind (clients and service providers). They're going to lose clients and revenues.

Anyone interested to join me?

Thats why I asked if it was going to be open sourced, for this very reason, so it can continue to be developed as web browser and shopping cart technology changes. If it isn't open source then developers will have no knowledge on how to do anything with it, and they won't be able to buy their own cart either to test it on. People who purchased this shopping cart wouldn't have expected it to be dropped, they would have expected them to continue developing it and have paid support and upgrades if they needed it in the future.

Regarding bugs, all software has them to some extent. But if they are not releasing any new features, it gives them the opportunity to solve all the bugs that have been reported, without new features interfering with them. So at the end when support ceases, it will be a relatively bug free cart. Apparently they have already been solved in big commerce, so I presume it is just a process of transferring them across to this cart.