BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Shopping Cart Community Forum > News and Product Updates

Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM
snooper

I agree software 'starts' life with a few bugs.. It is part of a process.. Ver.1 through a one or two sub-versions into Ver.2 is almost acceptable. Then a writer might then add a few more processes at some later stage (with the help of current users) before you make Ver.3 available. By Ver.3 you have a reliable and ground tested product based on customer feed back and build assistance.

However, anybody who has spent as much time as I have, sifting through the many lines of badly coded script that is ISC 5.5.4 will tell you, ISC seems to have simply 'tacked' a few scripts together. to give us what we have. Many of these scripts are not linked correctly, badly fudged and clearly the work of different people with differing skills. We have variables not transferred, badly transferred or passed wholly incorrectly (to mention just a few) and is why even by Ver.6 point whatever, still nothing (at the most basic level) works with evidence of legacy code that was already faulty, VERY apparent...!!

I admire the afront ISC have in saying, we sell you software, BUT if YOU change anything (to make the crap we sold work) we will no longer support you.!!
Clearly ISC is a company with no idea of the customer base they claim to be writing for.?! We don't have the time or money to wait until ISC condescend to get back from a ticketed support system. That by experience find many replies are cryptic and become a 'on going' conversation, with no resolve in a real world time line. That we have had to deal with bug fixing ourselves because in the real world, we have to 'actually' work for an income and not play or dance around pretending.!!

So you have to wonder about the list of logos ISC claim are users of their software. IF any have purchased, are they still using? Did they like ourselves get sold a package of bugs, realised and have long since dropped?
Did ISC resolve immediately or as with us, p*ss off the customer into leaving? If they did bug fix, why have these not been passed along to the versions we have?

If the companies ISC claim to have purchased from them are 'still' using the software and given what we know about what we have; Do we feel comfortable knowing they use the same weak badly scripted software, despite having millions of Dollars to buy better.?! A corporate image on a bucket brand website.?! Are they so naive and cheap to 'actually' do this.?? No.. I don't think so either!
So I don't see a logo as being an endorsement, so much as saying they purchased a copy of something. There is no evidence of use or actual satisfaction. And given the costs involved, no evidence they would agree to being sold what does not work as described by ISC when it matters.

This is not by any standards of reasonable and honest conduct, a way to do business or (in truth) for a company that if were it not not protected by crap laws, to still be in business by Ver.3 let alone where we are now, bug ridden Ver.6.!!

My thinking is cynical, yes.. But I suggest is near the mark.. ISC have bitten off more than they can handle and are not able to meet anything like the level of customer satisfaction and resolving the bug fixes as they claim are doing. This forum is fast becoming evident to this fact.
So dropping the cart and moving to a single hosting service is the only way out and makes sense.....

As for this idea of transferring from my host to a ISC equivalent? Given how even this has issues and people pointing out where ISC are still getting the basics wrong. No way.!!

A single host shopping servers such as Big Commerce are nothing more than spider traps in my opinion. If things go wrong you have little or no control or say of how or when to resolve. If a shop crashes or the server it sits on, you lose income, ISC don't. And how long before what crashed gets put back online for you?
At the moment, my host has 24/7 free call help line support and have managed to resolve my one single crash over the phone. From initial call by customer telling, to my getting through to help desk and they sorting , a mere 20mins!! I doubt if ISC will provide this level of service.
It needs only a few crashes of one sort of another before your customer get the message and moves on. They are not ISC customers, so ISC cares little, knows less and only is affected by your raging phone call (assuming you can call) or service ticket !!

And as farcical as this sounds, you are wholly dependent on them having the code right and bug free 'before' you set up your store, with it being able to fit correctly in with your tax or monitory system or delivery services for where you are based; US or Europe (for example). The current version of Big Commerce does not apparently.

So when can you feel secure enough to risk so much more of your money to ISC, given what you have already paid for did not work? Why (yet again) do we have a forum full of genuine complaints on the subject?? Right now, my answer is, simple - I don't feel secure in trusting ISC with my store !!

Placing every egg into on basket is not a secure way to run a store and less so if you have NO input or say on how it runs. And it is genuinely false accounting to think a single stop solution makes better sense if its apparently 'looked' after by so-called professionals.
If you matter of factly, can not make changes 24/7 to a standard you expect, or acheave the look and feel you wish, then you are at risk to being played. And your store always a visual compromise.

And given we have already paid a fortune for something we are debugging ourselves, to stay using ISC services, or have them assume we will with BC, is unbelievably misguided. I for one can not rely on ISC resolving bugs let alone run a proper cart server - full stop!!

Once in, you can't just withdraw from Big Commerce without losing your online store and its data or having to yet another nightmare of starting over again some place else.!!

Maybe now is a good a time to leave anyway and put ISC behind us..

Last edited by snooper; 05-07-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mservices View Post
A lot of people here are frustrated with this news that the shopping cart will be ended.
Frustrated yes, surprised no..
Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Interspire Customer

This information should have come out 2 years ago. There is no point complaining...we just want to move on to the best piece of software on the market and it's no longer ISC. There are a few bugs with ISC, but for us, it's stable.

The issue is the features. ISC will be be outdated by the beginning of 2013. We plan to move away then. Whether it will be BC, we are not sure but crucial features, such as Martin's many modules that are not within the BC is the biggest problem for us. Perhaps you should sell them on to BC for a large fee Martin?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jack- View Post
The issue is the features. ISC will be be outdated by the beginning of 2013. We plan to move away then. Whether it will be BC, we are not sure but crucial features, such as Martin's many modules that are not within the BC is the biggest problem for us. Perhaps you should sell them on to BC for a large fee Martin?
LOL... I doubt they'd buy them but on a more crucial point the lack of proper maintenance for various features such as royal mail pricing/structure in the RM module... or Google Merchant for ALL countries and taxonomies rather than just the USA is a real issue.

Such lack of attention to details appears very much alive and "well" in BC and as such leaves me thinking the company still don't "get it". It's all well and good saying you support X, Y, and Z, but if that support is actually the equivalent of "but only on Sundays when all planets are in alignment" then it's ignoring the interpretation the end user puts on things.

Anyway... having looked around, it's pretty obvious that there are considerably better offerings around now in both SAAS and self-hosting. Unfortunately the latter require serious investment in time, money or both.

As for moaning... Couldn't agree more... moved on, have more important things to spend my time on than a company that didn't do what they said on the tin... ie: listen...

Ho hum... Their loss... What could have been eh?...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Interspire Customer

Old news people.

ISC: The End was a thread from over 2 years ago
https://www.interspire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16193

...and this from over a year ago
https://www.interspire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17782

ISC hasn't evolved for over 2 years and is way way way behind most other 'decent' eCommerce software now.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Interspire Customer

I think that this is a silly move.
I haven't used big commerce for a few months, I was appalled by how un-customisable it was.
I have put hundreds of hours into Interspire shopping cart modifications and am really pleased with what I have accomplished.

Things might be easy in the US with freight companies giving API’s that integrate easily but not in Australia. Aust post is the only one ( temando released an alpha mod as well ).

Silly decision in my opinion, unless big commerce gets A lot more customisable, which I doubt sorry to say.

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 AM
snooper

I like the notion of making ISC open source. Right now this sounds like a practical idea.

And if ISC have one cell of intelligence, they will see the advantage. We take over the farce they could not resolve.

ALL the bugs they could not resolve, we shall deal with our selves. ALL the ill fitting planks of code cobbled together will be correctly uniformed and they ISC get a bug free platform they can use for BC. And as icing, can contract assests into a single bunker and stay serving US based customers. A more familer market.
Just think how much weight such a move will take from your shoulders??

Last edited by Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff); 05-07-2012 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: flaming
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Interspire Customer

Guys this is my 2¢ worth.

1) I don't believe there is a snowball chance in "that very hot place" that the powers to be at BigCommerce they will give any license rights to this software either privately or publicly (aka open source) to anyone. That would be direct competition to BC. I wouldn't bet your lively hood on that happening.
2) I would spend the time and energy in developing conversation software to convert ISC to other "owned" shopping carts. Prestashop maybe?
3) Here is the problem with promoting BC, one just look at the history of Interspire, every time they come out with what seems to be a great product with a short period of time they just stop developing. Case in point, Website Publisher, and now ISC. I am not sure I want to put my trust and future into the hands now of giving the owner ship of my clients away to BC. After all that is where the value really lies, in the customer. If BC continues the same business practices as Interspire, absolutely NO guarantee of any assurance they don't pull the rug out from under you again, you willing to take that RISK?

Don't get me wrong I would love nothing but to see Interspire Shopping Cart go the way of open source. That would be awesome.

The last one that leaves this forum please turn out the light.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Interspire Customer

I agree :-)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyREFLUX View Post
Old news people.

ISC: The End was a thread from over 2 years ago
https://www.interspire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16193

...and this from over a year ago
https://www.interspire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17782

ISC hasn't evolved for over 2 years and is way way way behind most other 'decent' eCommerce software now.
Since those threads, they did release new versions and updates. I also recall them saying on treads when people questioned them about it's future a few years ago, that they would continue developing ISC.