BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Shopping Cart Community Forum > News and Product Updates

Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnz View Post
Since those threads, they did release new versions and updates. I also recall them saying on treads when people questioned them about it's future a few years ago, that they would continue developing ISC.
Yep, which was all lies. The releases you alluded to contained virtually no new functionality and aimed to fix features that were released 'broken'.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Interspire Customer

Another question that should be asked is the licensing.. I'm guessing this cart like many other ones have a "call home" feature for checking to make sure the license/domain match. If it does, will it still work?
Anyone know if it currently does this?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) is offline
Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
Another question that should be asked is the licensing.. I'm guessing this cart like many other ones have a "call home" feature for checking to make sure the license/domain match. If it does, will it still work?
Anyone know if it currently does this?
There is no call home. It verifies the license key when the software is installed. There will be no option to change the domain name once the support expires.

Scott Smithwick
Interspire Manager
Toll-Free: 1 800 939 5570
US: 1 512 758 7618

"Web Software Inspired by You"
http://www.interspire.com/
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Interspire Customer

I agree with the other comments here - this is a blow to those of us who have purchased ISC to white label and sell to clients. Honestly, I don't know what we will do from here. We simply can't switch our clients over to BC. Because of this, we lose income from the shopping cart and the hosting ... and now we'll have to put out a lot of $$ to find a new shopping cart solution! Plus the time and effort to learn the new program and re-design customer sites. Argh!!! I guess I better start researching alternative shopping cart programs...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM
snooper

I think we can agree, in retrospect, ISC should have fixed bugs as early as Ver.2 and given these out to users. Then develop addons towards Ver.3 without 2 point what ever in the middle. Again on release, allow any and all bugs fixes to be dealt with before Ver.4… etc etc…

They could have ‘invited’ users to assist in debug on a reward basis, making the number of competent scripters larger than the obviously few and lose lot they have now.

Mods that are ‘outside’ ISC remit or not on a public wish list, can still be sold as 3rd party add’s, rather than now where as ISC dies, it has become a cynical situation for people to swoop in on the vulnerable users with so many outstanding issues yet to be dealt with.

This is ‘exactly’ why we should stop paying for what we have already paid for and ask, or be allowed to help ourselves under open source license. And in the spirit of good PR for ISC to assist by handing out what they have resolved to get things started. Even if this is only as far as Ver.5. but before Ver.6. And then enter into a 'proper' workable service agreement come assisted debug by reward program with paid for Ver.6 users.

One simple gesture, would at least allow the ‘tone’ of and clear anger of customers to mellow and may conceivably save ISC the brand from total extinction, in a world of newer technologies and cart expectations.

As it stands, I have as many of us have given out into public forums freely to users as assistance where it matters. Our every mod, change or idea to improve ISC as a ‘brand’. Workable code fixes and mods that should have been in place long before Ver.4 let alone 3. This must surely testify that ISC had something we wanted (on the face of it) and why we stood side by side in support with each other, but as this forum shows, toe to toe with ISC in conflict with the way we are being dealt with.

Call backs or talk of them, ‘implies’ many users are using (shall we call them) ‘free’ copies of ISC and the staff reply ‘almost’ suggest that any such carts are not portable. Okay, fine.. And if I were to have spent as much time and effort to build a cart for retail, I’d be protective of my work where I can credibly be able too. However; I am assuming it would be from genuine success and on a platform that works to the delight of users/ buyers. Sadly, as we well know, this is not the case.

The cost of any ISC is obscenely high and the fact ‘we’ not the vendors are having to debug, was the last thing we expected to have to do. And because ISC will not refund what we purchased having discovered (too late) it was not ‘fit for purpose’.
In efect, I had (like others) paid hard earned income for a cart that forced me (in atempt to justify my expence) to lose sleep and hours of my so-called free time to fight with my cart to make it work. This is is core to my anger on the subject.!!

How ever you view it, 'buying in' to ISC was dumb on our part given we could have done bug fixing for free with other carts that themselves freely available in public domain, open source.!!

So it does become understandable that free users of ISC are benefiting from buyers help, but then buyers were not getting any from ISC. A cycle that ends with ISC losing its standing and market position. The price of being managment complacent and deaf to customers who pay the wages (and life style) of ISC.......

Last edited by snooper; 05-07-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) is offline
Customer Service

To curb the discussion before it spirals out of control ISC will not be released as open source.

This is confirmed.

Scott Smithwick
Interspire Manager

Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
snooper

Thats it..

Where is my elastic band..???
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Interspire Customer

This announcement comes as no surprise. Thanks for making it official, Scott.

We just have one MAJOR issue with migrating over to BC and that is -- there is currently no way (that I'm aware of) to import customers and order history. We cannot lose all of our order data. We rely on this history too much, and it would be completely un-friendly for loyal customers to lose their order history.

I've posted about this in the BigCommerce forum. Here is my proposed way of handling the importing (though I'm no developer):

I can understand why it would be a complex thing to support, especially for another shopping cart brand altogether into BC, but I would think Interspire and BigCommerce are similar enough in their database structure that this would be achievable. Not to mention the fact that Interspire would certainly profit more from having most of their ISC customers transfer over to their new business model. I would think making it as easy to switch over as possible would be in their best interest.

To make things simpler, the import process could import the orders with products that are not linkable (that is not entirely necessary, so long is it has the QTY, SKU and Name). The important things to retain in my mind are:

Customer accounts (Email, Name, addresses, passwords)
And a complete order history (Order #, Name, Date, and details of order, with shipments, etc.)

Half or more of our customers have accounts set up, so their info is saved with the order history, and they have a password they can login with. It is very unfriendly to the repeat customers to lose their order history and say they have to start from scratch.

Scott - any information you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated. We are interested in moving to BigCommerce but this issue is a major roadblock for us.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingsetmall View Post
This announcement comes as no surprise. Thanks for making it official, Scott.

We just have one MAJOR issue with migrating over to BC and that is -- there is currently no way (that I'm aware of) to import customers and order history. We cannot lose all of our order data. We rely on this history too much, and it would be completely un-friendly for loyal customers to lose their order history.

I've posted about this in the BigCommerce forum. Here is my proposed way of handling the importing (though I'm no developer):
That's a known stumbling block we are trying to sort out still. I've been compiling a list of concerns, complaints, etc from calls, tickets, and forums since the announcement went up. We are scheduled to meet weekly to discuss. I'll put this on the list and see what I can find out. We might have some partners that figured it out.

Scott Smithwick
Interspire Manager

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
snooper

Quote:
a known stumbling block
Owch.. !!!