BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Email Marketer Community Forum > Customization and Integration

Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Interspire Customer

Default Custom Triggers in Autoresponders

I have seen several older threads on this topic that seem to dead end so I am casting it out one more time.

Triggers work only for campaigns which are one off events. I want to have a link trigger for autoresponders so clicks on links will escalate the recipient to different autoresponder series based upon their response.

I want to set up a trigger but do not see how to do this for autoresponders (NOT campaigns which are one time events).

Specifically here is the work flow.

I have a form that when filled out will place someone in a list called List #1.

People in List #1 will get a series of autoresponder messages called autoresponder #1

In several the autoresponder messages I have a link to an offer page.

If someone clicks on the link to the offer page in the List #1 autoresponder message I want them (and only them) removed from List #1 and placed in List #2 and then receive a different autoresponder series.

Support says this CANNOT be done but someone in the Interspire community may have figured out a workaround.

Does anyone know how to modify Email Marketer to do this?

The help is most appreciated!!!

PVB
Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Interspire Customer

Default RE: Custom Triggers in Autoresponders

Based on your example, this cannot be done with the IEM alone. The logic falls apart where you want an email triggered by a click. Without some sort of user authentication, a click alone cannot be a trigger because it would have no connection to either list: you either need the user to submit another small form to confirm their email address or some other registration system.

That would still not accomplish the user's removal from list #1 and addition to list #2. Although that might be possible through the API, you're asking the system to do a great many tasks in your workflow that it was simply not designed to perform.

I think you should look at a CMS like Drupal that includes a built-in user registration and authenticated sessions. Since Drupal also has its own mailer modules (I use the Webform module for instant email functions) but I use IEM registration forms to add people to IEM lists for monthly newsletters. You could probably do something similar with most any other CMS (Joomla, Wordpress perhaps) so I suggest you start there.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Interspire Customer

Alan,

I will look into the use of Drupal as you describe it. I use Wordpress now for CMS.

I bought Email Marketer after using its ancestor Send Studio. Send Studio worked fine for what I wanted but was sold on the idea of triggers in the promo materials on the Interspire webpage.

I inquires about the use of triggers on autoresponders and was told it could not do it. I "coached" them on not misrepresenting their product which I believe they do.

The website says

"Automate your list management with triggers. Automatically convert leads to opportunities when they open a specific email, remove inactive leads from your list or even send a follow up email when a particular link is clicked - automatically."

The claim says "when they open a specific email" . An autoresponder is a specific email. So I am not happy the way Interspire misrepresents the capability of the program in this way.

Anyway, than you for your thoughtful response.

-Peter
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Interspire Customer

Default RE: Custom Triggers in Autoresponders

Maybe I was too hasty with my response.

Thinking of this problem in a different way, perhaps it is possible. I had envisioned the trigger click taking place on an external offer page, but if the click originates from a subscriber's email message, then there is no user ambiguity. A trigger could probably do this.

I Googled the idea and came up with this interesting IEM Extension:

http://preneurmarketing.com/online-m...extension-add/

This sounds a lot like it might do what you want. I have only worked with triggers in the context of their out-of-the-box functionality, so I hope this helps!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Interspire Customer

Thanks--I will definitely check this out.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Interspire Customer

alternatively you could write a little php script that would check your database for email addresses in list #1 where they have clicked the required link and are marked as subscribed in list #1.
Any it finds it updates listid #1 to listid #2 in the database, essentially removing that person from list 1 and putting them in list 2
Old 01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Interspire Customer

You would need to add autoresponders to the triggers section. It was a bit of code modification, but all triggers can work with an autoresponder message as well.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Interspire Customer

Lightbulb Creating add on for Interspire Email Marketer

Hello,

I have 3 simple questions regarding the customization of IEM.

1. I'm going to have my developer do "add ons" to enable the functionality mentioned in this thread, along with a few other things in the triggers area.

Is there some sort of a development guide for IEM? I can't seem to find one.

2. Is there an way to create a "test instance" of IEM? I want all development to be done in the test instance of IEM - to make sure it doesn't break anything...then the changes will be applied to the production system.

We have created a "copy" of our IEM installation into an "iemtest" subdirectory, but we're unsure what to do with the license key area of the config files?

Anyone have experience with this?

3. Does anyone know a developer who is experienced with Interspire add ons that is for hire?

I appreciate any help...

Thanks!

Dan
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Interspire Customer

Bump...anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) Scott Smithwick (Interspire Staff) is offline
Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggerda View Post
Hello,

I have 3 simple questions regarding the customization of IEM.

1. I'm going to have my developer do "add ons" to enable the functionality mentioned in this thread, along with a few other things in the triggers area.

Is there some sort of a development guide for IEM? I can't seem to find one.
There is no development guide available.

Quote:
2. Is there an way to create a "test instance" of IEM? I want all development to be done in the test instance of IEM - to make sure it doesn't break anything...then the changes will be applied to the production system.

We have created a "copy" of our IEM installation into an "iemtest" subdirectory, but we're unsure what to do with the license key area of the config files? Anyone have experience with this?
You can request a developer license from customerservice @interspire.com

Quote:
3. Does anyone know a developer who is experienced with Interspire add ons that is for hire?

I appreciate any help...

Thanks!

Dan
There are usually developers here that offer assistance or you can try odesk.com or elance.com

Scott Smithwick
Interspire Manager
Toll-Free: 1 800 939 5570
US: 1 512 758 7618

"Web Software Inspired by You"
http://www.interspire.com/

Tags
autoresponders, triggers