BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Email Marketer Community Forum > News and Product Updates

Old 03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Interspire Customer

Default Bug in newest version

There is a bug in the newest version. I used SS2004 to send a last mailing for a client today, to some 900 people. Afterwards I upgraded to SSNX. This went well. Then after a few hours my client called and told me (rather pissed off) that none of the links worked. WHAT?? I always double check all links before sending, so I couldn't believe it. But it was true. All links were not working anymore and gave an error. Apparently upgrading had destroyed or changed the links in previously sent mailings! My client was not amused, and nor was I...
Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Interspire Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argos
There is a bug in the newest version. I used SS2004 to send a last mailing for a client today, to some 900 people. Afterwards I upgraded to SSNX. This went well. Then after a few hours my client called and told me (rather pissed off) that none of the links worked. WHAT?? I always double check all links before sending, so I couldn't believe it. But it was true. All links were not working anymore and gave an error. Apparently upgrading had destroyed or changed the links in previously sent mailings! My client was not amused, and nor was I...
Hi Argos,

If I'm understanding correctly, you send with SS and then upgraded to NX?

If that's the case, it would probably be that the links embedded for SS wouldn't work with NX, and they would've needed to be embedded while sending from NX instead.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan (Interspire Staff)
If I'm understanding correctly, you send with SS and then upgraded to NX? If that's the case, it would probably be that the links embedded for SS wouldn't work with NX, and they would've needed to be embedded while sending from NX instead.
Yes, I sent with SS, upgraded to NX, and noticed links in the just sent mailing didn't work anymore. If this is not a bug, please put it as info in the upgrade instructions to warn others to not upgrade while a previously sent mailing is still being read.

But to be honest, I think this should not have been possible. Links in sent mailings should still be working after upgrading the software.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 AM

Hi,

Why would you do a send, then upgrade, then wonder why things broke?

I don't understand why you'd do something like that...

Quote:
Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Interspire Customer

I posted here because I was just trying to tell others and you. It's a report about the new version, not a support request...
Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (Interspire Staff)
Why would you do a send, then upgrade, then wonder why things broke? I don't understand why you'd do something like that...
Hi Chris,
I don't understand that you're upset about me being upset about it.... This is the situation: I did the upgrade, which wentfine. After the upgrade I found out all previous mailing links are not working anymore. I was not warned or informed about that. I'm upset, and you don't understand that?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:48 AM

Hi Jurgen,

Reading your original message it sounded like this:

- did a send
- did the upgrade
- links didn't work.

so that's confusion on my end.

Quote:
Hi Chris,
I don't understand that you're upset about me being upset about it.... This is the situation: I did the upgrade, which wentfine. After the upgrade I found out all previous mailing links are not working anymore. I was not warned or informed about that. I'm upset, and you don't understand that?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Interspire Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (Interspire Staff)
Hi Jurgen,

Reading your original message it sounded like this:

- did a send
- did the upgrade
- links didn't work.

so that's confusion on my end.
Hi Chris, that's correct. When users do an upgrade to NX, there is always a previous version, and when there is a previous version, there are previously sent mailings. It doesn't matter if the last sent mailing had been 1 hour ago, or the day before, or even earlier before. As you know recepients often open received mailings not the moment they arrive, but later that day, or the next following days, or even later. Personally I have an archive with mailings I want to keep for later use, even after I read them, for example SitePoint newsletters. So many recepients will open mailings sent with SS, even if I have upgraded my sending software to a newer version. All links in all previously sent mailings by me and my clients will not work anyhmore, and give an error when clicked on.

Now, that is not something you expect when doing an upgrade. After all, all other settings have been preserved. Why not the links in the sent mailings? I still wonder why you think that's nothing to be upset about. I hope you understand.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Hi Jurgen,

If you send me the info I mentioned in your support ticket I'll get this working again. It's something I didn't think about to be honest.

Once it's working for you I'll put it into the general zipfile so others don't have the same issue.

Quote:
Hi Chris, that's correct. When users do an upgrade to NX, there is always a previous version, and when there is a previous version, there are previously sent mailings. It doesn't matter if the last sent mailing had been 1 hour ago, or the day before, or even earlier before. As you know recepients often open received mailings not the moment they arrive, but later that day, or the next following days, or even later. Personally I have an archive with mailings I want to keep for later use, even after I read them, for example SitePoint newsletters. So many recepients will open mailings sent with SS, even if I have upgraded my sending software to a newer version. All links in all previously sent mailings by me and my clients will not work anyhmore, and give an error when clicked on.

Now, that is not something you expect when doing an upgrade. After all, all other settings have been preserved. Why not the links in the sent mailings? I still wonder why you think that's nothing to be upset about. I hope you understand.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 AM
keliix06

Your post wasn't in vain. We were about 10 minutes away from upgrading ourselves and found this thread, so thank you for saving us a ton of headaches.