BigCommerce - Hosted Ecommerce Software by Interspire

Interspire Forum

Go Back   Interspire Forum > Interspire Email Marketer Community Forum > Customization and Integration > Bounce Rules

Old 08-31-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Abuse FBLs, anyone?

So I guess that a Feedback Loop lets us know when someone marks us as "spam," so we can take the appropriate actions. Sounds like a good idea, so I signed up for AOL's Abuse Feedback Loop (a prerequisite for their whitelist). But now I'm a little stuck.

So I sent out a mailing, and now I have 20 "Abuse Feedback E-Mails" in my abuse at eyelinegolf.com inbox (apparently in "ARF" format). These e-mails each represent someone clicking a "mark as spam" link, I think, but they don't have any e-mail addresses in them, so I can't unsubscribe the people who flagged us.

I don't think SendStudio processes these, do they? What does one do with them?

Thanks,

Teddy

Last edited by Chris S; 09-05-2007 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: stop email address from being a link (stop spam harvesting)
Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot or something of what the emails in your abuse account say? I'm not really sure I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drokkon
I signed up for AOL's Abuse Feedback Loop (a prerequisite for their whitelist), and now I'm a little stuck. I have 20 Abuse Feedbacks in my abuse inbox, but they don't have any e-mails in them, so I can't delete them. I don't think SendStudio processes these, do they? What does one do with them?

Thanks,

Teddy
Old 09-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Here ya go. There's more info on AOL's whitelist and feedback loop here: http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/fbl.html

Old 09-05-2007, 01:31 AM

Hi,

Wow, very useful message from aol. What's in the attachment? Apart from asking aol for more info or how to work out who complained I have no idea.

Quote:
Here ya go. There's more info on AOL's whitelist and feedback loop here: http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/fbl.html
Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 PM

So I modified my initial post to offer more details about what's going on, and the website http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/fbl.html explains even more. Apparently they don't identify the person who marked the message as spam to protect them. The attachment on each e-mail offers virtually nothing else; it includes a copy of the offending e-mail and a .dat file that says only:

Feedback-Type: abuse
User-Agent: AOL SComp
Version: 0.1
Received-Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:16:39 -0400
Source-IP: xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Reported-Domain: web.eyelinegolf.com
Redacted-Address: redacted
Redacted-Address: redacted@

I'm assuming that whatever ARF format is, it's a standard for e-mail software to read these e-mails and register complaints somehow. Maybe something you should look into!

Our old provider, iContact, knew how to deal with these, because one of the statistics it revealed (that's missing in SendStudio) was # and % of Spam Complaints.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 PM

Hi Teddy,

If it includes the offending email it does indeed identify them.

Can you send an example of the report to chris @ interspire dot com and I'll take a look at how to handle it.

Quote:
So I modified my initial post to offer more details about what's going on, and the website http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/fbl.html explains even more. Apparently they don't identify the person who marked the message as spam to protect them. The attachment on each e-mail offers virtually nothing else; it includes a copy of the offending e-mail and a .dat file that says only:

Feedback-Type: abuse
User-Agent: AOL SComp
Version: 0.1
Received-Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:16:39 -0400
Source-IP: xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Reported-Domain: web.eyelinegolf.com
Redacted-Address: redacted
Redacted-Address: redacted@

I'm assuming that whatever ARF format is, it's a standard for e-mail software to read these e-mails and register complaints somehow. Maybe something you should look into!

Our old provider, iContact, knew how to deal with these, because one of the statistics it revealed (that's missing in SendStudio) was # and % of Spam Complaints.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 PM

Aha! Yes, after I thought about it, you are correct - the original message is helpful! Here are my findings regarding the FBL:

-So the AOL feedback loop comes into play whenever someone clicks the "spam" button while viewing your e-mail. Rather than penalize you, AOL will send you a non-descript notification e-mail. The e-mail consists of a brief text message and two attachments: the original message that was marked as "spam" and a *.dat file with a few other details.

-To protect their members' privacy, every reference to the person's e-mail address is stripped, even from the attached original message.

-However, the unique unsubscribe link in the offending message is left intact, so you need only open the attachment and click the unsubscribe link on the AOL user's behalf (since apparently it was easier for them to simply mark you as spam).

I hope this makes sense. If anyone else has questions about AOLs feedback loop, I think I finally have a handle on it!

T
Old 09-10-2007, 01:10 AM

Hi Teddy,

Glad you got it sorted. I might add an extra 'identifying' header to sendstudio so we could add handling of FBL's at a later date.

Quote:
Aha! Yes, after I thought about it, you are correct - the original message is helpful! Here are my findings regarding the FBL:

-So the AOL feedback loop comes into play whenever someone clicks the "spam" button while viewing your e-mail. Rather than penalize you, AOL will send you a non-descript notification e-mail. The e-mail consists of a brief text message and two attachments: the original message that was marked as "spam" and a *.dat file with a few other details.

-To protect their members' privacy, every reference to the person's e-mail address is stripped, even from the attached original message.

-However, the unique unsubscribe link in the offending message is left intact, so you need only open the attachment and click the unsubscribe link on the AOL user's behalf (since apparently it was easier for them to simply mark you as spam).

I hope this makes sense. If anyone else has questions about AOLs feedback loop, I think I finally have a handle on it!

T
Old 03-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Interspire Customer

drokkon - THANK YOU!!!!! I have been beating my head over this for weeks now, I knew there had to be a way to get this resolved.. Thank you so much for getting this figured out